Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fitzgerald

Larry Fitzgerald punked me in Hawaii. Getting down to half time, the NFC is trailing 14 to 3 and with only ten seconds on the clock and we're fifty yards out. Of course anything can happen in a Pro Bowl and momentum changes happen nearly every drive. But, up to this point, we hadn't really put anything together and it was looking pretty bad offensively for the Blue. Drew Brees is calling the plays and casually comes into the huddle saying lets give it one more shot before the half.

The play call is 2 Jet all go, meaning of course all go, which in any football terminology is 4 seam routes. Now I'm not looking for the ball by any means, actually with it being the Pro Bowl and all I'm hoping more than anything that he doesn't throw it up to me. Larry on the other hand is an obvious target with one last shot at the end zone. Drew drops back and by the time I've three quarter speed ran 35 yards I'm watching Fitz out jump two defenders for an amazing touchdown. The catch was nothing short of spectacular, but who would expect anything less from 11, he's just that good. It also got us right back in the game as the clock ran out for half time.

I the meantime I'm pretty damn excited and as he caught the ball I had made my way down into the end zone. I just ran a seam route on the other side of the ball from Larry and as he came stumbling along the goal line I would be the first one to get to him. I'm not very big on celebrating, but he was coming right for me and I was pumped, so something was going to have to happen. For some reason I think I was a little awkward because I'm not really a big fan of the jumping side bump and that is what seems to be the common buddy celebration, but I headed nonchalantly toward him waiting for him to initiate some kind of celebration. As he got within five yards I started to raise my hand and even got ready for a little jumping action, right before I left my feet he actually made a sort of juke move and quickly moves around me leaving me hanging. I'm sure on TV it appeared as if he avoided me like some kind of crazy fan in the end zone, not even looking towards me as he passed. Then before I even get fully turned around he is soaring into full chest jumping, loving action with Anquan Boldin. He left me stranded and alone with nothing to do but put my head down and feel like a total ass. I mean what do I do at that point? Go find some lineman running down the field and share an Icky Shuffle with him, I don't think so. At least it was in the end closest to the locker room and I was able to walk straight in.Before I was able to get in the doors Witten and Jared Allen joined me and they couldn't even talk in between gasping laughs. I got to admit it was pretty damn funny and we joked about it throughout the halftime break. I started asking Larry and he just says Anquan's his boy! Anquan said it was dirty though. I told Fitz that the rest of his career it doesn't matter how good he plays, I will never remember anything besides him dumping on me in 09.

Seriously though, who just leaves someone hanging? I know he had to see me coming at him! A low five would have sufficed, now that I think of it I would have even been happy with a wave. I guess next time I'll just have to show off my new tackling, kidney punching, helmet slapping celebration, that'll get him!

Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment